Sunday, January 1, 2017

A Word for 2017

A Word for 2017
For the past 3 years I have picked out a word that I really wanted to work on for the year. The word I choose is representative of what I feel like I had been lacking in the past year. Picking out a word or theme for the year can mean so much when you look back at your year and see how much you have grown since you picked out that word.
In 2014 my word was patience. I have always been told I was very patient. I got the patience award every week for every year for 5 years at the camp I went to. I thought I had a natural patience, so I stopped trying at being patient. As it turns out, I am not naturally patient, so I decided to make that my word for 2014. I still struggle with patience every day, but since I spent a year working on it, I think I might just be able to  get that award again.
In 2015 my word was focus. I often found myself thinking of other things while I was in bible study or when I was praying. But, I wanted to give God my full attention. So, I spent 2015 intentionally focusing and listening to what God had to say to me.
In 2016 my word was peace. Due to a hard 2015 I had lost almost all of my peace. My dad was in and out of the hospital, my cat had died, I had lost loved ones, and I had drifted away from many friendships. Needless to say, all of these events had taken their toll on me. I endearingly call 2016 the year of anxiety attacks. I was living in a constant state of anxiety for a majority of 2016, due to a horrible 2015 and the added stress of high school. So, in 2016 I decided to set my sights on peace. I prayed constantly for peace. Now, since November 2016, when I began this blog, I have found myself sitting in the true peace that comes for Christ alone.
I have decided, after some thought and meditation, that my word for 2017 is going to be love. For the last half of 2016 I was constantly praying for the capacity to be kinder, more loving, more patient. I believe that true and undeniable love encompasses all of those things. My goal for 2017 is to give reckless and unconditional love to everybody I meet.
What is your word for this year? I would love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment