Sunday, February 11, 2018

God is Good

“Let the King of my heart be the mountain where I run, the fountain I drink from, He is my song! Let the King of my heart be the shadow where I hide, the ransom for my life, He is my song! You are good! You’re never gonna let me down!” - King of My Heart by John Mark McMillan
Today has been one of those days. A day that takes “I’m good” to a sigh followed by “I guess I’m okay.” I went to church this morning, knowing it would be slightly different for me. A girl in our ministry has passed during the week and while I wasn’t exactly close to her, I felt the affect her loss greatly. I volunteered to help direct traffic for her memorial and while I was standing in the parking lot, I found myself singing “King of My Heart.” It’s a strange thing to be attending a funeral and to start singing “God, you are good.” What is good about this situation? A beautiful, young, kind, intelligent, beloved child and friend had just been taken from us.
Earlier that morning in our bible, we came together and prayed for her family. During our service, we praised God that he is there even when we are hurting. We danced and sang even though we had heavy hearts. The situation was not good, but we knew that our God was good. We were not joyful that she was gone, but we were joyful that she had gone home to be with her Father.
It’s during the hard times that we see how good God is. When you are brought to your knees in tears, when you freeze because you just received devastating news, it’s in those moments we can see God. When the community comes around a person, when the church prays and praises, it shows how powerful our God is. He doesn’t let bad things happen, he uses bad things to bring people to his glory. Romans 8:28 says that we “know in all things God works for the good of those who love him and have been called according to his purpose.” I don’t know yet what good is going to come out of this, but I do know my God. I know his heart and his character, and I know he is always, always, always good.
Wherever you are today, whatever burden you struggling with, know that God is always good!  He is victorious over all pain and suffering! He freely gives hope and grace! He faithful to remain by your side and bring you into righteousness! There is nowhere he cannot reach you, He will never leave you nor forsake you, for he is good and he is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment