Friday, January 27, 2017

Top 10 Old Testament Verses

Top 10 Old Testament Verses
The Old Testament is full of wonderful stories of God’s power and grace. There are so many stories and verses that are so important. But, I feel that as Christians, we often disregard what the Old Testament has to say because it is either irrelevant or boring. I decided to share some of my favorite verses from the Old Testament in the hopes to encourage both you and I to dive into God’s word.  
  1. Exodus 14:14. This verse states that “the Lord will fight for you, you need only be still.” This verse is such a comfort to me, as well as a great reminder that God has everything in control.  
  2. 1 Samuel 16:7. “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” I love this verse because it tells us that God can and will use anyone to do his work.
  3. Esther 4:14b. “Who knows if you were made Queen for such a time as this?” This verse is so amazing because it shows us how intricate God’s plans are. He puts us where we need to be, with the people we need, at the right time for a specific reason. Isn’t that amazing!
  4. Psalm 36:5-10 “Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.” This  line is just verse 5 of this passage, but I love the entire thing. It talks about how powerful and great God is. I  love passages of worship because they remind me how wonderful God is.
  5. Psalm 51:10 “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” This verse is so important to me. Every day I ask God to renew my spirits so that I can do the works he has set before me. I also ask that he aids me in keeping my heart and mind pure, or free from the influences of evil in this world.
  6. Psalm 73:26 “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” This verse is a beautiful reminder that God is all we need. Whenever we cannot do it, God can. We cannot survive on our own, but God is our strength and our substance no matter what.
  7. Proverbs 30:7-9 “Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.” This verse reminds me to keep my head about me. I do not need to go running off buying frivolous things when God is all I need. I find it fascinating how this verse looks at both sides of the situation and still decides that the Lord is best.  
  8. Song of Songs 4:7 “You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you.” The love that I feel when I read this verse is so immense. I love thinking that God says this to me. He tells us we were made without fault, truly and undeniably beautiful.
  9. Song of Songs 8:4 “Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.” This verse is so important. It is a reminder to not go and seek love. You do not need a relationship with somebody until you have a relationship with God. Wait on God’s timing and good things will happen.
  10. Micah 6:8 “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” The three things listed in this verse sum up everything we are called to do. We are to be just in our actions, not rash or unfair. We are to be merciful and loving to all we come across. Lastly, we are to walk in awe of the amazing God that we serve.

These are 10 of my favorite verses from the Old Testament. What are you favorites? Please comment below! I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment