Sunday, December 31, 2017

December 2017 Wrap Up



What a month December 2017 has been! I turned 16, got my driver's license, and grew Undeniable Joy as a business! And somehow, inbetween the craziness of finals and life, I managed to read 10 books! I also branched out into audio books for the first time this month and I love them! It is so nice to have something to listen to while I am getting ready or working on art! So hold onto your hats and get read for the 10 (!) books I read this month!
  1. The first book I read this month was Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett!This was the perfect book to get me out of my reading funk! It was so cute and feel good, and it gave me another couple to root for! I loved everything about this one, so of course it gets a 5/5 stars! By far the best contemporary I’ve read in awhile! 
  2. Then I read The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I had to read this book for school, and I really did not enjoy it. The writing was hard to follow and the main character was so incredibly unlikeable. An overall 2/5 star read. 
  3. Next, I read (or listened to) The Call by Peadar O'Guilin. This was my first audiobook and it was so fun! Okay, honesty, the book was creepy, riveting, and described beautifully! But the whole experience was so enjoyable, between the narrator and the captivating story, I loved it! Another 5 star read! If you are looking for something creepy, but at the same time won’t keep you up all night and is an adventure, mystery type story, then this is the book for you!
  4. Then, I listened P.S. I Like You by Kasie West on audiobook. Overall, it was cute and fun, but I didn’t love it. Not my favorite contemporary, but it filled the finals week void I was feeling. I am sure I will venture into more Kasie West soon! I gave this one a solid 3/5 stars. 
  5. My next audiobook was Yes Please by Amy Poehler! This was my first autobiography, and I had such an amazing time! I love that Amy narrated it, along with the other people who she would mention in her stories! I also loved how there were actual clips from Parks and Rec and SNL in the audiobook, along with songs, and live interviews! It added so much to the experience! I love her on Parks and Rec, so it was cool to see more into her life! I don’t have a star rating for this one because it doesn’t really fit into my normal standards for rating, but I highly recommend this one! 
  6. Next, I read Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco! I read Stalking Jack the Ripper earlier this year and adored it (it’s in my Top 17 of 2017- stay tuned for that post soon!), so I knew I wanted to get around to reading this one! The sequel was everything I wanted, more mystery, more girl power, more development in the relationship, just all around more and better (I didn’t think that would be possible!), and I loved it! 5/5 stars!
  7. After that book, I read Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee! Oh! My! Goodness! This book was AMAZING! There was a perfect balance of 1700s politics, romance, adventure, travel, humor, and mystery! It was such a ride and I adored every second! I gave this one 5/5 stars! If you are looking for your next read, i suggest checking this one out sooner rather than later!
  8. Remember when I said I would be reading more Kasie West in the future? Well, the future was nearer than I was expecting! I listened to The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West and I enjoyed it a lot! I think it was slightly better than P.S. I Like You, but I still give it 3/5 stars. Very cute, but not the best I have ever read!
  9. After that, I read The Graces by Laure Eve! This book was so interesting! It was similar to We Were Liars in that I had absolutely no idea what was going on the entire time I was reading. All the events are shrouded in mystery, yet they are having crazy parties and living their lives. It also has elements of witchcraft and magic, which makes the book even more interesting! I highly recommend checking this book out! It is very underrated and deserves so much more love! I gave it 4/5 stars! 
  10. Finally, I read Wonder by R.J. Palacio. My friend wanted to go see the movie, so I went and loved it! I came home and read the book in one sitting after that! It is such a feel good book and a super quick read! I gave it 5/5 stars! 
  11. Lastly, I wanted to mention that I DNF’d Now I Rise by Kiersten White. I read And I Darken earlier this year and didn’t love it, didn’t hate it, so I thought I would give the sequel a chance. Honestly, I was reading it while studying for finals and it is so political and violent that I just couldn’t keep up. I got about half way through before I threw in the towel. I desperately want to love these books, but I just don’t think they are for me.
Alright! That’s it! What did you read this month? Comment below so we can chat about books!

No comments:

Post a Comment