Monday, January 1, 2018

Books, Blogging, and Plans | 2017 Survey

Happy New Year, everybody! I hope you all had a wonderful 2017, I know I did! Despite some hard things that happened this year, the joys always outweighed the bad! This survey takes in all the books I read, the blog posts I wrote, and my plans for next year to give a peek into what my reading and blogging life were like in 2017! In that department, 2017 was an incredibly successful year and I am hoping that 2018 can be even better!

The Books of 2017:
Number Of Books You Read: 54
Number of Re-Reads: 4
Genre You Read The Most From: YA Fantasy

1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
The Night Circus was the best new book I read this year.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Kiss of deception. I thought it had the potential to be my new favorite fantasy series, but it just wasn’t doing it for me.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  
Wolf by Wolf! It is so good but not talked a lot about, so I was shocked by how amazing it was!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I am working on making everyone I know read the ACOTAR series. I have been planting seeds for the past year and a half and people are finally acting on it now.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Best series I started has to go to Throne of Glass. Best sequel goes to Hunting Prince Dracula. Best series ender is A Court of Wings and Ruin.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Rainbow Rowell solidified herself as a favorite of mine this year. I didn’t discover her this year, but I did discover she is a new favorite!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Call is a fantasy horror book with emphasis on the horror, which is not typically my cup of tea, but I loved it!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue can be described by all of those! It was so action-packed and, despite it being 500 pages, I read it in a day.
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably Empire of Storms or Lord of Shadows in preparation for their sequels.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
The Graces has such a beautiful cover!
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Audrey Rose from Stalking Jack the Ripper. She has a quiet beauty and grace and she is so strong and intelligent, but it doesn’t seem forced.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
The Wrath and the Dawn is written beautifully! Everything Renee Ahdieh writes is lyrical and gorgeous!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
The Glass Castle was different from anything I have ever read and gave me a new perspective into a life I will never know.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Six of Crows! I have been hearing such good things for so long, but since I didn’t love the Grisha trilogy, I was really scared to go in. Despite that fear, I absolutely adored it!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“To the Stars who listen and the dreams that are answered” will forever be my favorite quote. (And ACOMAF was one of my rereads for the year, so this counts!)
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest= Of Mice and Men (112)
Longest= Lord of Shadows (701)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard was just plot twist after plot twist.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
There are so many! My #1 will forever and always be Feyre and Rhys, but past that I would go with Simon and Baz from Carry On!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Elise, Vicky, and Pippa from This Song Will Save Your Life! Their friendship is adorable and I loved reading about them!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Carry on by Rainbow Rowell! This book was amazing and it is why I am now in love with Rainbow Rowell!
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Alex, Approximately and I am so glad that I listened! I saw Taylor from Taylor Talks Books on Youtube really pushing this one and I had to go read it because of her!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Chaol Westfall! I had always loved him, but after reading from his perspective, I love him so much more!
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
I don’t think I read any 2017 debut novels, so my favorite debut novel I read this year was Simon vs. the Homosapien Agenda.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The setting in the Night Circus! I can still smell the kettle corn and feel the night wind racing by! The imagery in this book is incredible! It felt like I was really there!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Yes Please by Amy Poehler because it was so incredibly funny!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
I cry a lot when I read, but I cried the most in Tower of Dawn. It was such an emotional rollercoaster!
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Night We Said Yes by Lauren Gibaldi. I loved this book I have never heard anyone talk about it. I only found it because I saw it on Book Outlet and thought the cover looked interesting.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
One Dark Throne. I loved it, but this book nearly killed me.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
We Were Liars purely because I had no idea what was going on the entire time.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Caraval for 2 reasons. 1) Because I really wanted to love it and didn’t and 2) Because the protagonist was so frustrating. I was planning on DNFing this book, but I had to keep going because I had heard it was like the Night Circus and I had to give it a fair chance. I honestly do not see the similarities between the two books.

Blogging in 2017:
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
I have really enjoyed reading Word Revel’s blog this year!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
My One Dark Throne review. I really like the format of this one and how I was able to talk about everything I wanted to without making the post freakishly long! Read it here.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
This isn’t book related, but I love my Wise and Foolish Builders post! I worked really hard on this one and it is so close to my heart. Read it here.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I really enjoyed participating in the Winter 2017 Biannual Biliothon! It was my first read-at-thon because they are always at a bad time for me, but this year the dates worked out perfectly and it was so fun!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
Launching my Etsy shop and making my first sale!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Switching my book blog to my main blog was hard because I had to revamp my whole posting schedule and it is still hard to find a good balance. I am working out the kinks, but I will hopefully soon have a more concrete plan for how I split up my posts!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My Reading Quest TBR
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I’d say my Washington Travel Diary because I loved this trip and put a lot of work into rounding up all the places we went to!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Bookstagram! I discovered and created my bookstagram account this year and it is so fun!
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
My goals were: read 50 books (check), buy fewer books (check), read 5 classics (I read 4), Finish Harry Potter (I rejected that one- I will probably never finish), Complete the Vampire Academy series (not that high of a priority, but I will finish someday), and reread Percy Jackson (again, I rejected this one because I am afraid I will not love them now as much as I did). So I got to some of my goals!

Plans for 2018:
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
I am going to finish Night Film if it is the last thing I do!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
A Court of Frost and Starlight or Queen of Air and Darkness.
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
I hope to be more consistent in posting and make this (along with my art) into more of a business than a hobby.


This survey was designed and created by the Perpetual Page Turner! Go check out her awesome post!
How many books did you read this year? Comment below so we can chat about books! And Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment