Thursday, September 21, 2017

Six of Crows Review





Book: Six of Crows


Author: Leigh Bardugo


Genre: YA Fantasy


My Rating:
Crow Free Stock Photo - Public Domain PicturesCrow Free Stock Photo - Public Domain PicturesCrow Free Stock Photo - Public Domain PicturesCrow Free Stock Photo - Public Domain PicturesCrow Free Stock Photo - Public Domain Pictures


The Blurb: Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist: Break into the notorious Ice Court (a military stronghold that has never been breached). Retrieve a hostage (who could unleash magical havoc on the world). Survive long enough to collect his reward (and spend it). Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.


Overall Thoughts: The number one thing I loved about Six of Crows was that it was not the Grisha trilogy. Don’t get me wrong, I thought the Grisha trilogy was great, but it was not what I wanted from this book. They are set in the same world, but that is the extent of the similarities. I enjoyed this because I was looking for something unique and wonderful, which this book definitely provided! It was a tad bit hard to get into, but once it picked up, it picked up! I was engaged and had to know what happened! All around a wonderful book that I would highly recommend.


Thoughts on Characters: I loved these characters! They are so smart and witty and all around fabulous! What I really loved were the complex backstories that made these characters not only relatable, but gave you a deep connection to each of them. First, there’s Kaz. He seems like just walked out of a mafia film, with his cunning and mystique. Then, Inej with her calming presence and silent grace. Nina, with her loud laughter and beauty. Matthias, with his booming presence, yet caring heart. Jeper with his rambunctiousness and unruliness. Then, finally, Wylan, with his organized mess and shy disposition. All of these characters added up to be the perfect mix of bad and good, funny and serious, ignorant and astute.
Something I came to love about this book was how the romance was put on the back burner to friendship. These people are teenagers and the romance was reasonable for people their age. I really appreciated that and loved the value they put in their friends.


Thoughts on Plot: The plot was all over the place crazy in the best of ways! My mind was racing at 100 miles per hour trying to keep tabs on all of their plans, but I never could! It was complex and engaging and I loved every second of it! Though, I will admit, the first 100 pages were not too exciting, I was so ready to get into the story that I flew through those, too!


Thoughts on Writing: As usual, the writing of this book was awesome! Leigh Bardugo never fails to amaze! Her prose is somewhere in between flowerly and simple, and as always, I live for it! Her fabulous writing kept me engaged even during the slower bits and she managed the multiple perspectives beautifully! I was never confused when it came to her writing, she kept everyhting in balance and in perspective.


Recommend this to: Fans of fantasy, a really great heist, or a fabulous group of friends! If you ever watched the TV show Leverage, it is kind of like that, but even better (if at all possible)!

Have you read Six of Crows? Comment your thoughts below! I would love to hear from you!
Image and Synopsis from Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment